Seven more days until our “Pie auction” Tuesday, August 31st – 5.00 pm onwards.
I thought I would throw out a few ideas for delicious pie recipes for people stuck for what pie to make for our auction. Happy pie making!
This is a great recipe for an apple and blackberry recipe – especially if you have apples growing in your garden and blackberries in your neighbourhood!
- 1 pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 5 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- Additional sugar
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate; top with a thin layer of apples. Combine blackberries and remaining apples in a large bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice. Add sugar and cornstarch and toss gently. Spoon into pie shell; dot with butter. Top with a lattice crust; seal edges. Combine egg and water or milk; brush over lattice top and pie edges. Bake at 375 degrees F for 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and apples are tender. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.